Sunday, January 30, 2011

A Run of Firsts

The weather this weekend was so beautiful. It was sunny with a high in the 40s both days. I'm still taking swim lessons on Saturday (a recap is coming) so a run was on the agenda for today. It was a good run and I enjoyed some new experiences during it.

It was my first outdoor run in 2011. I actually haven't ran outside since the Run, Run Rudolph the day after Thanksgiving.

It was my first run across the Second Street Bridge. I've walked across this non-interstate bridge between Indiana and Kentucky several times, but have never run it. The view both ways was nice, but the wind was so cold as I came back across.

It was my first time to do an errand while running. I needed to pick up a new group exercise schedule and knew the YMCA was about 2 miles away. I ran there, picked up my schedule, and ran back.

My pace was slower than I would have liked, but I ran the first 1.75 miles with no walk breaks. I need to play around with the frequency and amount of walk breaks so my pace doesn't slow as I go. My total distance was about 4.25 miles and it was mostly in sunshine, so I will definitely categorize it as a good run.